Monday, September 16, 2013

Letter #8

Guten Tag friends and Familie,

Well this week had its struggles, but it was a great week to be a missionary. First, we went on Monday to two members houses. The first was the best members in the whole world, the Akkermanns. They have 6 children, all ages 12 and under, and then the dad is the stake president assistant and the mom is just super strong in the gospel and loves missionaries. so that lesson was great. They loved my picture book of the Book of Mormon. and the little boy, Johnnas, gave my companion and I litte sewed dwarfs, no clue why, but it was the cutest thing. They had a candle they called the "grateful candle" and we passed it around and said what we were thankful for. While it was passed around, the littlest boy, about 3 years old, said that he was grateful for the missionaries and how they make me happy. Best thing in the world.

Then we went to this other recent convert member, Sister Schultz. She is a wonderful lady and has been a member for a year. She is the only member in her family, so it is hard for her to share the gospel, but she also loves it and loves being a member. She made us some dang good food, no clue what it was or what she was saying, because gosh this language is hard, but I knew the food tasted good. We talked to her about temples and told her our experiences in the temple. I started to get emotional and just told her in my broken up German how great the temple was. I love the spirit.

Then the next day, terrible. Haha honestly. we had plans to have lessons with people, and they all fell through. We missed a train to go to a street preach, and the entire day it was pouring rain. I haven't seen the sun in a week now (which I actually love). The people never listen to you if you talk to them in German with an American accent. It's hard for me to have a good attitude when I can never talk to anyone and keep a conversation going. Because if I knew what to say to them or what they were saying, boy, I would stop everyone and tell them that their Heavenly Father loves them. Wednesday wasn't any better, and the only time that I feel like I can actually do something is when I read the scriptures, talks, and make dinner. I must say, I have made some amazing meals. Elder Allen loves me for it. He said I should open a resturant when I get back. That makes me feel pretty dang good. Even better when I actually eat it :) You taught me well momma and papa.

Thursday, was the best day though, as it always is. the Sport was awesome. We met this guy, Jurgen, and he is just fantastic. He came to our English class, which we hold after sport abend, and we taught him the first lesson and he took a Book of Mormon. He loved it! He said that it was a message from God, and that he was supposed to be here. It was so cool. So hopefully he comes back and listens to us again. This week, not a lot has come by. just a lot of studying and just really figuring out what I am supposed to be doing. It's been really hard to keep positive and be successful, but I have read a talk by Elder Bednar about how faith is taking one step in, then having the faith something will happen, and then you see the miracle that has come to pass. I am going to be working on that this week.

We also taught a guy named Jesse. he has been hearing the discussions for a while and is really invested in the bible, so doesn't really see the need of anything else. But I think we will be able to really touch him. He is from Ghana and speaks english, so that's a blessing.

This week my knowledge of the Atonement increased so much. I learned how much the lord loves us and what he really did for us. I know the more that we use the Atonement, and don't avoid the trails we are going through but ask for the strength to endure them, we will become so much better people. I know that if you try to learn more about the Atonement, you will fully learn what the Lord has in store for you. I love this gospel, and I know that this is the Lord's work. I will give more info next time, because hopefully more things happen :) love you and miss you all!!

Elder Mayne

P.S. haha I got a terrible haircut. I'll show pics some other time... maybe :)




No comments:

Post a Comment