Monday, January 26, 2015

Letter #79 - Into a World I Never Knew

As a missionary, I have had so many opportunties to grow, to experience things, and really see what life is like outside of the "bubble." Elder Brown asked me a great question this week: "What is the purpose of a mission? For us?" Obviously, I blurted out the Missionary Purpose in Preach my Gospel: "[To bring others closer to] Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end." But he really asked was, "What does a mission do, for us?" I thought about it for a couple days. I thought, we get to experience first hand what it means to live after the gospel of Jesus Christ, and what it doesn't. The gospel can be an anchor in your life, and can give you some direction.

This week, was absolutely a wave of emotion. A great sister in our Zone went home due to medical issues. A family that has a son with a skin condition wanted us to heal him right then and there, and the mom is worried sick. We met with a guy that because of the goverment, and all the hard things in his life, he has closed off his heart and won't accept anything other than the world is crazy and there is no God. Then finally, we helped our friend, and recent convert, Tony with a letter he received saying that they want to kick him out of Germany.

I'm a 19 year old who never thought life was bigger than high school, thought longboarding and girls were the most important things, and that McDonalds and Betos breakfast burritos are really the only things that people need in life. So, as you can imagine, when I have these experiences, these amazing growing points in my life, I kind of have to take a step back and say: "Wow. Is this really going on?"

Then, I put both feet in and think of the words of my missionary call letter:
"Greater Blessings and more Happiness than you have yet experienced await you as you humbly and prayfully serve the Lord in this Labor of love among His children."

I realized that even though I'm thrown into a world that I have never before tasted or felt, I can relate to these people. I can love them.

I have noticed that often in the scriptures, when the people are being taught a gospel lesson or principle, it is only understood or applied when the heart is involved. I recently have been studying about Peter and wondering what made him change. He was a different person during Christ's life and then after. I know that the Spirit sparked that change in him. It was the truth that Christ lives, that He is the Christ, and that we are to follow Him.

Another experience this week involved Prakash. He got back from his trip. We met with him and just read the Book of Mormon. The day had been hard,  and I wasn't doing so hot. He read me like a book. I didn't really want to talk about it, just read, testify, pray, and be done. Then after reading, we turned to Mosiah 21 (read it in the morning, one of my favorite chapters now). I explained to him that the Lord allows me to be humbled all the time. That I am not perfect, and I know I have weaknesses. So, when I am going through a trial, I have to decide whether or not to stay on the right course and allow myself to be humbled, or to fight it off and just say, "I'm having a bad day, leave me alone." As I told him this, the spirit testified to him the importance of being humble. He said that was exactly what he needed. It was a really, really cool and even a more humbling moment.

My thoughts are jumbled. Life has its ups and downs. But in this "Labor of Love," I couldn't be more grateful to be the Lord's servant and be out here serving His children.

Love you all!! Have a great, fantastic week and lemme know if you need anything. Oh, and pics are gonna come next week. Elder Brown has the best ones and I didn't bring my camera with me. :) Oops. Bye!!!

Lots of Love,
Elder Mayne

No comments:

Post a Comment